Transfer Tax FAQ


Starting May 3, 2023, the Transfer Office in Room 1B of the Abel Wolman Building will accept walk-in requests on Wednesdays by appointment only.

Same-day processing is available for Deeds and Deeds of Trust (DOTs) with complete documentation and paid bills. You can submit one Deed or DOT with up to five properties conveying.


We offer Simplifile, an e-recording system for the convenient transfer of real property.

By using this system, you can electronically record your land record documents, ensuring greater convenience, accuracy, security, and reliability. This method saves time and resources compared to the traditional paper-based process, which can often take several weeks.

Transfer Tax and how is it computed

The City of Baltimore taxes the transfer of real property. The City transfer tax is 1.5% multiplied by the amount of consideration and the State transfer tax is 0.5% multiplied by the amount of the consideration. Together the total transfer tax on the property is 2% of the consideration paid for the property.

Lien Certificate requirements 

Generally, the City requires a lien sheet if you want to delete the name of an owner of the real property from the Deed.

Obtaining a Lien Certificate 

You can request a Lien Certificate online or visit our office at:

Abel Wolman Municipal Building, Room 1
200 Holliday Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

See additional information at Lien Certificate FAQ | Baltimore City Department of Finance

Documents required to complete a deed transfer


  • The Original Deed,
  • Lien Certificate,
  • Intake Sheet,
  • A copy of the Settlement Sheet,
  • The Contract of Sale (or a Report of Sale), and
  • A check(s) for the Baltimore City transfer tax made payable to the Director of Finance. 

Can you mail in documents for processing?


Are all transfers of real property subject to the Transfer Tax? 

Generally, the City taxes all transfers of real property. The City Code and the Maryland State Annotated Code list some exceptions. Seek professional advice for specific cases.

Is there a checklist for Deed Processing Instructions?

Yes, download the Deed Processing checklist by clicking here.

How do I contact the Baltimore City Transfer Tax Unit?

By telephone410-396-5122


Abel Wolman Municipal Building, Room 1
200 Holliday Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

What are the Transfer Tax Unit's hours of operation?

Monday through Friday, from 8:30 am - 3:30 pm.

What do I do if my parents are deceased and willed their house to me?

Contact the State Register of Wills Department at 410-396-5034 or visit them at 111 N. Calvert Street, Room 311, Baltimore, MD 21202. 

Do I have to record a new deed if I get married and change my last name?

No, you do not have to record a new deed. However, if you want the property location records to reflect your married name, take a copy of your marriage certificate to the Property Location Unit, Room # 204, Abel Wolman Building, 200 N. Holliday Street, Baltimore MD 21202.