Skip to Content

Citywide Menu

Water Turn Off FAQ

Can I make payment arrangements to pay my water bill?

If the customer has breached a prior water payment agreement, full payment is due and no new agreement can be made. If no prior breach, the property is located in Baltimore County, and the bill is over $499, the customer must contact the Law Department at 410-396-3968 to make a payment agreement.  If no prior breach, the customer must make a down payment in the amount of 50% of the balance.  If there has been a prior breach, the customer is not eligible for future water payment agreements.

Can I get assistance to pay my water bill?
Customers can call the Community Action Center in their area:

Northwest Community Action Center
3939 Reisterstown Road, Baltimore, MD 21215
(443) 984-1384

Southeast Community Action Center
3411 Bank Street, Baltimore, MD 21224
(410) 545-6513 / 6518

Eastern Community Action Center
1400 Federal Street, Baltimore, MD 21213
(410) 545-0136

Northern Community Action Center
5225 York Road, Baltimore, MD 21212
(410) 396-6084

South Community Action Center
606 Cherry Hill Road, Baltimore, MD 21225
(410) 545-0900

Do I need to come to the Municipal Building to make a water payment agreement?
Yes, please come to the Water Turn Off desk in Room 1 at 200 Holliday Street by 3:00 p.m. on any weekday that is not a City holiday.

What do I need to bring with me?
If the customer is the homeowner, we will need your Maryland State ID or drivers license. If a tenant, we will need your Maryland State ID or drivers license, a copy of your lease agreement (if you do not have a lease, we will need a copy of a rent receipt, utility bill with the customer’s name and the property address on it), and the landlord’s name, mailing address, and telephone number.

Can someone tell me why my bill is so high?
The customer should contact Utility Billing at (410) 396-5398.

Do you give senior discounts?
Yes, please contact Utility billing at (410) 396-5398.

Do I have to come to the Municipal Building to have my water service restored?

Only if the customer wants a water payment agreement.  The customer does not have to come to the Municipal Building is he or she pays the water bill in full. Payment can be made on-line or over the telephone. We need confirmation of payment before 12:00 pm to request that service be restored the same day. All requests without payment confirmation before 12:00 pm will not have service restored until the next day.  Please call 410-396-3988 to provide payment confirmation.

Can I send someone else to sign the agreement for me?
Yes, you must provide a notarized authorization for the other person to act on your behalf.

Can I get an extension to pay?
Yes, customers can have 10 business days past the turn off date to pay the balance in full or to have a payment agreement in place.

Can I pay with a personal check?
If the water service is already turned off or if the customer is using a water grant as part of a payment agreement, no personal checks are accepted. Also, no personal checks are accepted if service has been turned off as a result of receiving an earlier bad check.

Stay Connected

Page Info

Page Info

Mayor's Office of Information Technology

This website was hand crafted by the Mayor's Office of Information Technology for the Citizens of Baltimore City.

Citizen feedback and participation is welcome and highly encouraged. If you'd like to help make this website better, please email the Webmaster.

Back to Top